Home About The Fame! Contact

Monday 2 April 2012

Peach Ice Cream

Sometimes I just prefer the unstaged, 'quick-get-the-camera!' pictures. You can't fake dripping ice cream!


Not wanting to be labelled a flirt who doesn't follow through (see here), I have made some ice cream to go with the sunshine.

It's actually, I suppose, technically not an ice cream, since I didn't make a custard base, but I was remembering the beautiful glittering raspberry kulfi I made a year or so back and wanted to recreate its ease of execution. I mean, the sun is shining: am I really going to be stirring hot cream into eggs and sugar today? No, reader. I am not.

I decided to forgo the evaporated milk that made the kulfi so ridiculously quick to make, despite having a tin on the shelf. It is earmarked for macaroni and cheese when friends come over (I'm doing my bit to make trashy food trendy). No, this ice cream was made with a big tin of peaches and a tub of double cream. More fat, but no tin opener required. Sometimes there has to be a trade off.

I just want to tell you, before moving on to more pressing matters, that this ice cream is wonderful. It is peachy and creamy smooth, and although you can't really tell in the pictures, not a uniform orange blossom colour, but a pale, Spring-like apricot hue, shot through with flecks of sunny, orange peaches.

I must say, having read that last paragraph back, I am glad I went for cream. You can't wax lyrical like that about Carnation, however quick the recipe.

Now: we move away from food, and on to night club DJs. Yes, really.

I have a bit of a thing about garnishing with rosemary flowers. So pretty.

I recently went out. It's not something I do often, but I'm not dead yet and occasionally feel the need to dance somewhere other than my kitchen.

To all intents and purposes it was a good night; we danced, drank shots of vanilla vodka (home made, I'm not a teenager) and ended up eating falafel at 5am. I'm pleased to say I can still do it. I may have crow's feet, but I can all night with the best of them once in a while.

Now. Here's the thing. It was an Eighties night - had to be, otherwise I wouldn't go - but the DJ wouldn't play my request. I wanted Kim Wilde (follow that link - truly wonderful), but didn't get it. Am I right to be annoyed?

I see it like this: you pay your money to get in, and the DJ is supposed to play music you want to hear. Where do they get off on telling me 'no'? I'm a customer!

Perhaps I am overreacting, but I was really cross. Especially when he followed this song with this one (!). Frankly, that man can't call himself a DJ at all. Have some respect for the greats.

I've lost track again. Forgive me.

Peach Ice Cream

You will need:

1 large tin of peaches in syrup (mine was 470g)
300ml double cream

  1. Blend the peaches and syrup to a smooth purée in blender, or push them through a sieve if you favour hard work.
  2. Whisk in the cream.
  3. Pour this mixture into your ice cream maker and churn until frozen. Keep in the freezer, but take it out about 30 minutes before serving to ripen.

7 comments:

  1. we're the kids in America woah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love peach yogurt and this I know I will love! yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love a 2 ingredient ice cream and this looks perfect for the hot weather we've been having recently. You should have eaten this at 5am as well as that falafel :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think Mac & Cheese is trashy at all - I was at Aria in Sydney and they served mac & cheese as a side dish to one of their meals and it was hands down one of the best things I've eaten.

    LOVE you blog, read it religiously. Keep up the great work

    Megs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Peach ice cream is one of my all-time favorites, and yours looks a lot simpler than what I have made. I'll have to give this recipe a try. Also, we discovered that peach ice cream can be used to make the most incredible ice cream sandwiches. Take a look at this: http://wannabeculinarian.blogspot.com/2010/07/peach-ice-cream.html

    And, I owned several Kim Wilde's cassette tapes and played them over and over on my Sony Walkman back in high school. Yes...I'm old.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with Dom, you ought to have asked for Kids in America! Wasn't Keep me hanging on a Stock Aitken & Waterman version?

    Conveniently I have some egg yolks in my fridge right now but unconveniently I have no space to chill my ice cream bowl - boo! I'd love to make this though I will have to get us eating some stuff out the freezer first.

    (Closet Bananarama fan)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks wonderful. I love to visit your blog. I never leave empty handed and always have something I know my family will love. I hope you have agreat day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete

That's what he said.

Related Posts with Thumbnails